On your first visit your osteopath will:
- Take a full medical history, including details of your presenting complaint
- Examine your posture
- Observe movements of your spine and the rest of your body
- Perform special tests to help identify dysfunctional structures and tissues
- Discuss their findings with you and together devise a treatment plan
- Give advice about lifestyle, exercises and ways of relieving pain
- If appropriate create a personalised exercise plan for you
Confidentiality & Chaperons
If you wish, you may have a friend or relative present during the appointment.
- Every patient consultation and treatment session is strictly confidential and is ruled by an ethical code of conduct regulated by the General Osteopathic Council (GOsC).
- Please note: All patients under the age of 16 must be accompanied by a responsible adult.
What to wear
- It is recommended you wear comfy, loose clothing if possible such as jogging trousers and a t shirt to facilitate examination. Assuming your clothing is suitable, most treatments can be performed without undressing.
What to bring with you
- Please bring details of any medication that you are on along with any relevant test, scan or X ray results.
- Treatment will be carried out at the first visit. Osteopaths usually start any treatment by releasing and relaxing muscles and stretching stiff joints, using gentle massage techniques, rhythmic joint movements and muscle release techniques. The osteopath may also manipulate specific joints.
- While manipulation can be suitable in a number of different presentations, it is not an essential part of a treatment and other techniques may also be used depending on your problem. This treatment is safe, usually painless and effective, and has minimal side effects which may include some soreness for a few days after treatment.
- At the end of the session you may be given a personalised exercise plan, if appropriate, along with a prognosis and the likely number of treatments required.
- Most patients feel benefit from the first couple of visits, and subsequent treatments if required, are used to tackle the root cause and prevent re-occurrance. The treatments may then gradually be spaced out to provide long lasting relief.
- Unlike some other therapists your osteopath will examine your condition before and after every treatment, and will then discuss when to book in again.
- There will be no pressure to ‘bulk buy’ treatments, and your prognosis will be discussed after every treatment.
- Please visit out FAQ page. If you do not find the answer there then please feel free to contact me to discuss your concerns.